So you have Upgraded the latest version of Skype? Wow you got new features, latest update in UI and a lot more right? 🤣 Sorry Sorry lets comes to the point. I know why you want to Downgrade Skype to a previous version. So before we discuss the methods lets talk something meaning full regarding downgrade Skype to a previous version.
Skype is software that enables the world’s conversations. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice one-to-one and group calls, send instant messages and share files with other people on Skype. You can use Skype on whatever works best for you – on your mobile, computer or tablet.
Why Should I “downgrade” Skype to a previous version?
So after Upgrading to windows 10, Skype also updated automatically in my case. A note was there it is possible to go back to the version I had before if I did not like the new version. Below are some of the reason to downgrade Skype to previous version:
- After updating to new Skype you will mess around with trying to figure out where everything is and you may don’t like that dark mode or say night mode.
- you will hate the current new app of Skype for iOS , in particular when travelling immensely Skype out for calls to customers and now its almost impossible
- Automatic Update. I mean even you are on video call and suddenly it crash and it forcefully update.\
- Skype Classic let you run two or more instances of Skype, making it easy to sign in with both a personal and work account on the same PC. Skype 8 doesn’t let you do this. You can only sign in with a single account at a time.
- Skype 8 limits you to a single window. so you need to downgrade Skype
- You can’t disable emoji, and Skype automatically expands them. So you can’t type a serious sentence like “He was pretty out of it (drunk) that night.” If you do, Skype will automatically convert “(drunk)” into a silly-looking animated face, as that’s just one of Skype’s emoji. It’s wacky, and not something everyone wants in a chat client.
What are the features NOT included in latest update of Skype ?
- Compact viewing mode (that is, splitting the interface of Skype into two windows).
- Network statuses “Away” and “Offline”.
- Clearing all history.
- Use of contact lists.
- Effective search with partial match of words in chats.
- Configuring the webcam (for example, specifying the contrast).
- Changing the font settings in the chat.
- Customizing sounds for calls, messages and other events.
- Kick a user from a group call.
- Navigation in the chat (for example, jump to the previous month).
- Send your contacts to other Skype users.
- Customize hotkeys (including the ability to send messages using CTRL+Enter).
- Editing contact information (for example, specifying phone number).
- Specify how long to store chat history.
- Customize notifications (for example, someone comes online or celebrates his birthday).
- Option to enable sound notifications in the active chat.
- Customize different audio devices for ringing and talking.
- Saving received files in automatic mode.
- Hiding avatars of contacts.
- Increase the duration of the video message (at least one minute).
- Video snapshots Gallery.
- Starting the call by double clicking on the contact.
- Proxy configuration.
- Create moderated group chats.
- Skype Group Policies.
- Automatically insert the highlighted word when searching.
How to get Old Skype back ?
To downgrade Skype to previous version we have simply two methods. In 2018 we have option to use Skype Classic which was available to download from Microsoft Official site. But back in November 2018 Microsoft has discontinue support for Skype classic
But don’t you worry we have the solution to downgrade Skype. Just follow any of the following methods:
Using Skype old version – Skype Classic 7.41
Instead of downgrade Skype download Skype classic 7.40 or 7.41 which skype old version is still available to download from here. Microsoft has release the latest Skype 8 in 2018. Which have great UI and Windows 10 concept based flat Graphics. People were used to like Skype classic which was the best version till date comes with such great features that people avoid to update to latest version.
Skype 7.40 [classic] was originally considered as the final version of the old Skype installer. However, Microsoft had to take down the download links for Skype Classic 18.104.22.168 from the official website in February 2018. It was due to a security issue with the online installer that installs Skype Classic 7.40. Here is a screenshot that was taken from the Microsoft community discussing the security threat affecting Skype Classic customers.
The security issue got a fix with the release of the Skype Classic 22.214.171.124. However, as said before, Microsoft discontinued the software on 01-11-2018. As of 01-03-2019, you can still download the Classic edition 7.41 from the Skype website, but it is useless as the sign-in is not possible from Windows.
Using Skype Portable edition
Instead of downgrade Skype use Skype portable is free to download and easy to use. The program runs from the directory itself, so if you have a Flash drive or any external hard drive, there’s no need to install the program to the computer in use. It involves little effort and is and a clean way to use your programs without scaring off friends and family who don’t understand computers at all.
Microsoft have no role to build Skype portable edition. Other developers have built it for their personal uses and to give it to users like us who are not comfortable with every updates of Skype.
But it is recommended to download Skype from unknown source as it comes with addition files modified by developers so it my have chances to have malware in it! But in most case you’re safe!
So here i have listed few important features:
- Just plug and Play: You don’t require to install the setup of Skype. In Skype lite you have to just directly run application. So you can run it on Pendrive or other portable devices.
- No need to Install: As we already discussed we don’t have to run setup. Just go lazy and directly run the app.
- No Updates require: No Auto update or Forced update by Microsoft.
Even after providing Good features and latest windows 10 based UI, Microsoft has failed to provide features which are important to their user. Also Microsoft has discontinue support for Skype Classic but still we can download and use Old version Skype, Skype Classic or Skype Portable.